Friday, December 26, 2008

Too Many Christmas Cookies. . .

So I have been wanting to make these Neiman Marcus/Mrs. Fields cookies for a while now, so I figured I would make them for Santa. 
The Recipe is quite Large it makes 112 cookies. So I started to read the recipe 2 Cups of Butter. Ok so thats 8 Sticks of butter? Who knows What I was thinking I don't know. So I doubled the butter but not everything else. When I was done mixing it all together the dough looked a little wet I read the recipe more closely and then thought about what I had done. The Word C R A P passed my lips, With Savannah following it will "We don't say Crap  mommy, We don't say Crap mommy, We don't say crap mommy!" She thinks because she is telling me that we don't say it, that's it ok for her to say it over and over and over again. At least 10 times. 
Back to the cookies. So I then proceeded to double the rest of the recipe.  Much to my dismay the doubled batch did not fit in my kitchenaid 6 quart mixer. Who knew I would ever need one of those restaurant style mixers. 
So I finished it by hand and then proceed to roll and bake all 224 cookies. That is a lot of cookies.  I just wish we had taken a picture of the pile before we started to give them away.  If you are interested here is the recipe. . . 

(Recipe may be halved): 

2 cups butter 
4 cups flour 
2 tsp. baking soda 
2 cups granulated sugar 
2 cups brown sugar 
5 cups blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder) 
24 oz. chocolate chips 
1 tsp. salt 
1 8 oz. Hershey bar (grated) 
4 eggs 
2 tsp. baking powder 
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice) 
2 tsp. vanilla 

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet..Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.. Have Fun!!!

4 comments:

Grammie Star Wars said...

These are the BEST Cookies!!!

I say let's make more!!!

love you,
xoxoxox

Tiffany said...

They freeze well though right?

The Simpsons said...

They Shoulf freeze?? I don't know I guess I will have to try!

Rena said...

I can't tell you how many times I have done the EXACT same thing. The most recent was when my parents were in town a few weeks ago. I wanted to make them their favorite blueberry crumb cake. I don't know how my mind thought it said 3/4 pound of butter when it really said 3/4 of a STICK of butter. Let's just say the cake was VERY moist and buttery.